Entrepreneurs And ADD
It’s been said many times before that entrepreneurs and ADD are synonymous. I can attest to the fact that the entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well because of ADD. In fact, Dr. Shane Perrault, of The ADHD Performance Center, told me that its redundant to say both in the same sentence. People ask me, “You don’t have ADHD, do you? You’re so productive, your balanced, and you seem like you’ve got everything together…” My answer is a resounding “Absolutely, I have ADHD, that’s how I CAN BE so productive, balanced, intuitive, successful, and CAN keep everything together”. But before I was introduced to the SHINE Program, created by Dr. Hallowell, my life was ruled by a power that was insurmountable. He has even said himself on stage that entrepreneurs and ADD are one in the same, with the greatest chance of being successful.
As entrepreneurs, we are a special group of people that have inherent traits that are fantastic when they are focused, supported, and proactively understood. We can be incredibly creative, curious, and energetic; which usually makes us terrible employees. The adage about ‘thinking outside the box’ is our life, which means that the majority of the time, entrepreneurs aren’t following logical linear process. Can you imagine how in the world someone got into a boat to sail away from safety on a flat Earth? Or decided that they wanted to build the spaceship, not be the astronaut.
The three hallmarks of ADD are Impulsivity, Distractibility, and Hyperactivity. Typically, these are very destructive forces within someone’s life. But with the correct processes, they can all be handled correctly and bring about incredibly massive amounts of power and success. In the SHINE program, we work with clients to bring those three usually destructive traits and turn them into Creativity, Curiosity, and Energy – ridiculous amounts of energy. Are you beginning to see how this can help entrepreneurs?
So , do you want to know how to help entrepreneurs and ADD? Good, here goes, first understand that his is not a brain that functions as linearly as others. So let’s just start by asking certain questions and creating purposeful answers to each one :
- What is the current unwanted circumstance? What results do you really want and need? By When, How will you measure the results?
- Name two or more vital behaviors that will lead to the greatest amount of change.
- How will you influence those key behaviors?
- What is your personal motivation plan? – How CAN OTHERS help you keep your own integrity engaged in these vital behaviors?
- What is your personal ability plan? How CAN OTHERS help you increase your ability to do the most vital behaviors in the most challenging moents?
- What is your social media influence plan? Who has the most influence that you know can help you? What needs to be established in order for them to HELP YOU influence change? How will you influence these influencers?
- What is your structural motivation plan? What is the most motivating emotion or outcome for you? What incentives can you put in place to rocket-boost the change?
- What is your structural ability plan? How can you create the environment around you in order to repeat the best behaviors? How can you make the best behaviors easier, and the dysfunctional behaviors harder?
Remember that as, people with traits of ADD, There are three main things that need to be present when we are facing people, places or things that need to be accomplished. Structure Novelty, and Motivation.. get ot work on the above answer and I look forward to hearing your comments below..
Author: Eric Etka